Photographs of more than 500 graves and memorials in southern India have been added to the Families in British India website
The photos were taken by members and friends of Families in British India Society (FIBIS) who went on a family history tour of Southern India in 2015. The image opposite shows a group from the Southern India Tour, and inset is an image from St George's Cathedral, Madras.
The society is still in the process of transcribing more of the photographs which were taken, so more will follow. Those currently on the FIBIS website are:
- Christ Church, Madras - index with images
- Kilpauk, Madras - index with images
- Our Lady of Mount Carmel RC Church, Cuddalore - index with images
- Pondicherry Cemetery - index with images
- Purswalkum Cemetery, Verpery, Madras - index with images
- St Andrew’s, Chingleput - index with images
- St Anthony’s Cemetery, Madras - index with images
- St George’s Cathedral, Madras - index with images
- St Mary Magdalene Church, Poonamallee, Madras - index with images
- St Mary’s Cemetery, Madras - index with images
- St Mary’s Church, Fort St George - index with images
- St Mary’s, Bangalore - index with images
- St Matthias Church, Vepery, Madras - index with images
Valmay Young, website and social media manager of FIBIS said of the research trip: 'Following in the footsteps of my ancestors and visiting the churches where they were baptised, married and buried was a truly unforgettable and moving experience for me and my family, as my parents and son both accompanied me on my pilgrimage.'
Explore the images on the FIBIS website.
(St George's Cathedral image copyright Michael Brock)