24 February 2021
Are you keen to trace your GREAT BRITISH & IRISH family history roots? Of course you are, and we have the resources, advice and information to help you.
The records to trace ancestors in the UK and Ireland are held either in local or regional collections, or in national collections. It can be hard to know where the records you want is held, or indeed whether it has been digitised. However, help is at hand.
Here are some fantastic resources that will help you every step of the way.
If you wish to explore the records and history of your ancestors’ place…
Visit Genuki – the virtual reference library for all things useful for UK & Ireland genealogy: https://www.genuki.org.uk/
If you know the county you need…
If you know the whereabouts in the UK your ancestors came from, then track down the local archives and family history societies to find out more.
- To find a local archive: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/find-an-archive
- To find a family history society: https://www.familyhistoryfederation.com/societies-az
If you are seeking information about UK & Ireland records…
- If you’re looking for records, explore the Research Guides on the UK’s National Archives’ website: https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/#find-a-research-guide
- For guides to Scottish records, see: https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/a-z
- For guides to Irish records, see: https://www.nationalarchives.ie/historical-records/research-guides-sources
- For guides to Northern Ireland records, see: https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/guides-proni-records
- For guides to Welsh records, see: https://www.library.wales/collections/learn-more/archives
Together the links above will lead you to information and resources that will help you trace your UK and Irish ancestors back many centuries.
And if you are seeking other places around the globe, or information about research skills…
- The FamilySearch wiki is the place to go, packed with 90,000 family history web pages, see: https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Main_Page
Monthly advice from the experts in British family history
To find more useful ideas for tracing UK ancestors don't miss Family Tree magazine, the UK's longest-running genealogy magazine, available in print and digital format.
RootsTech Special Offers
50% OFF A DIGITAL SUBSCRIPTION!
Enjoy our introductory offer of a discounted one-year subscription for just £16.99/$16.99.
CLAIM THE OFFER NOW!
Prefer the print edition? You can subscribe using the following links:
FEBRUARY'S FAMILY TREE FOR JUST $1.99
Get the February 2021 issue of Family Tree for only £1.99/$1.99.
Buy today and read instantly on your PC, Mac, mobile or tablet device.
CLAIM THE OFFER NOW!
YOUR FREE GUIDE: HOW TO SEARCH AND USE THE UK CENSUS
You'll receive the free guide 'How to Search and Use the Census for Family History' to print off at home, when you tick to receive our monthly emails. (You'll receive this as a PDF in your confirmation email). SIGN UP TO THE FREE NEWSLETTER NOW!