Gloucester Cathedral bells to ring out US national anthem on 4 July
- The bells of Gloucester Cathedral will peal the tune of the US national anthem 'star-spangled' banner on 4 July, in tribute to the historic tune's composer, Gloucester-born John Stafford Smith.
- Organ Recital of The Star-Spangled Banner at Gloucester Cathedral
- A Tour of Gloucester Cathedral
- City Tour with Gloucester Civic Trust
- A Tour of St Mary de Crypt Church
The Very Reverend Stephen Lake, Dean of Gloucester said: “Gloucester Cathedral has a unique connection with the United States. We are proud that John Stafford Smith, the son of one of our former Organists wrote the music that became America’s famous National Anthem, the Star-Spangled Banner. To this day an American flag hangs inside the building over the monument commemorating this historic bond. We look forward to working with Visit Britain and Marketing Gloucester to welcome US visitors to our Cathedral and City.”
To book the Gloucester tour, visit the Discover website.