How did you get on in our quiz?
Here are the answers to the Family Tree Christmas quiz, set by genealogy quiz guru Caroline Makein
2. 1837- the same year that the civil registration of births, deaths and marriages began in England and Wales.
4. Women’s Land Army
5. RAF – Royal Air Force
7. Ag.Lab.- agricultural labourer
8. Weaving, enabling the weaving of figured and intricate variegated patterns on brocade and damasks.
9. A hackler was a flax dresser who used a metal spiked tool to split, straighten and comb out the fibres before the spinning process to produce linen thread for weaving.
11. It is the study and deciphering of old handwriting.
12. GEnealogical Data COMmunication. It’s a computer-readable file of your family tree, which you can export from a family tree program on your computer or your online tree, and import into other programs or websites – where GEDCOM export and import is available.
13. Your Most Recent Common Ancestor.
15. The three WW1 campaign medals – the 1914 Star or 1914-1915 Star, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.
16. True, it was increased to 16 in 1929.
17. Green, white and purple.
18. Various types of woven fabric.
19. James VI of Scotland
20. Red, white and blue
For the answers to the crossword, please see below:
- bucks (fizz)
- Northern (Lights)