Family History Forum  Family-Tree.co.uk   Register    Login    Search   

Welcome

Explore and enjoy your family history with Family Tree, the number one magazine for tracing your family history, combining essential sources, archives, websites, expert tips and reader stories.

Welcome to Family Tree

Board index » Archive » Family History for the Computer User

Post subject: apps for smartphones
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:34 am 

Hi!
I've just downloaded the ancestry app for my new iphone. It's very handy! But one of my friends has a Samsung Galaxy phone and would like to do the same (we're working on the same tree). Is it possible? Does the app exist for the Galaxy? Please help!
tanyagar

Post subject: Re: apps for smartphones
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:13 am 

I don't know about an app but do have a solution for any phone which has a web browser installed to enable a (non-updatable) copy of a database to be carried/viewed.

Last September I decided I was carrying too many devices in my pockets so bought a Nokia E63 smart phone (which comes with office applications, calender etc.) to replace my previous cell phone and Palm Tungsten PDA. The Nokia is a great device but the one thing it didn't replace was the LDS/PAF Gedcom viewer software which ran on Palm OS. I'd looked around once or twice and found that there is nothing on the market for the Symbian OS but recently it struck me that the phone has a web browser and I still have the Ged2www program which I used to use to generate web pages from a Gedcom file for use on our web site.

I created a new Gedcom file from my database, ran Ged2www and then copied the results to the Micro SD card in the phone. All I need to do is open the base page and it automatically opens the browser so that I can navigate through all my data. :)

It obviously doesn't offer update facilities but neither did the program I ran on the Palm -which is fine by me as I only want the data on the phone for reference.

There are other programs (e.g. Ged2html) which will generate web pages from a Gedcom file. Google will soon find the various sites for downloading the software.

Graham

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:46 am 

Hi there,

I'm aware that Ancestry has been wanting to do an Android version of its app (to work on non-Apple phones, like Samsung) I just spotted this: http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2011 ... gle+Reader

It's a link to the Ancestry blog and basically says that they have been working on the Android app and are appealing for a few beta testers!

Hope that helps
Belinda

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:03 am 

Thanks for your replies! So it seems if we wait awhile, the app will eventually be available. Unfortunately, the other solution isn't a lot of use as both of us are working on the tree, so it needs to be updated in real time.
tanyagar

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:31 pm 

Just to let you all know that the app is now downloadable (probably has been for a while!). And it works! :D

Board index » Archive » Family History for the Computer User