Family History Forum  Family-Tree.co.uk   Register    Login    Search   

Welcome

Explore and enjoy your family history with Family Tree, the number one magazine for tracing your family history, combining essential sources, archives, websites, expert tips and reader stories.

Welcome to Family Tree

Board index » Archive » Chat

Post subject: Plagiarism
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:10 am 

Plagiarism is defined in dictionaries as the "wrongful appropriation," "close imitation," or "purloining and publication" of another author's "language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions," and the representation of them as one's own original work.

I make an apology to the vast majority of this forum for making this posting.

Several weeks ago I made contact with Mary E via PM about certain aspects of copyright.

Unfortunately at the time I was, and still am, involved in a family crisis and was not at liberty to reply to Mary E's very helpful PM. Sadly, owing to the site's revamp I have lost her PMs to me and am unable to reply to her directly as the very long message that she made has disappeared.

So I have thought about this subject over several weeks, and have decided to make a posting here.

This is relatively a small problem amongst the rich tapestry of life, but one of the those little niggles that annoy me.

I object most strongly to someone copying and pasting a message from this forum which I had posted (including a typo) and then posting it on another private forum, which I just happened to be a member of, and by not making any acknowledgement to me or this forum, claimed it to be an original posting by himself.

I do not wish to start a Flame War, but would just like to make the individual concerned know that he has been noted as doing something similar on several forums.

I once again apologises to the vast majority of forum members and moderators. Many folks might criticise me for not having conveyed my feelings to the individual concerned by simply sending him a PM, as his possible past record seems to suggest, I think this would have been a waste of my time. If by making this posting I have contravened the rules of the forum, then I will accept any actions you deem to be necessary...I am just slightly a little hot under the collar.

UK

Board index » Archive » Chat